« Home | The world has turned upside-down! » | Happy Restoration Day, Timor-Leste! » | Dili and Helsinki calmer already » | Dili in turmoil » | Zero » | 1 Day to go: busy » | 2 Days to go: more rain and challenging schedules » | 3 Days to go: Holiday! » | 4 Days to go: trying to wrap up » | 5 Days to go: finally saw turtle »

Dili Days Disasterous...

Since I am no longer in Dili, I was going to end writing this blog and start a new one with a more accurate tile. However, the title words have got a whole new meaning now, so I continue with that for time being. Although I have made a couple of posts about recent violence in Dili, I didn’t comment the events frequently or extensively. It is very difficult to believe what I clearly see. Despite the reports, I remained confident that the situation would normalise soon until last Thursday when we received the shocking news that, against the agreement reached, the F-FDTL soldiers shot dead ten disarmed national police officers who were marching peacefully under UN protection (the photograph is from UNOTIL press release / Lusa). I cannot believe this happened literally in front of the building I was still working in only one month ago.

I've been in touch with many friends in Dili, but at the moment most of the expats there are busy being relocated to Darwin, and those few who are staying must be even busier. Most worrying is the situation of the Timorese friends, most of whom are supposed to stay at home or wherever it is safest in country. From the little I’ve heard, they are all alive at least.

Timor-Leste has probably got more media coverage in the Finnish media in past four days than in past four years combined. Yesterday, I was watching evening news where they showed picture material from Dili. There I sat, with a devastating feeling of watching my home burning in the television. And I also experienced the inexplicable and irrational 'I should be there now' sentiment. Had the report gone on any longer, I would probably have started to cry.

The very latest information I have is that President Xanana is leading the national effort for a peaceful end, and the international forces have got increased mandate to calm the ongoing looting and anarchy. I can only hope for the best.