« Home | Furniture & Time Challenges » | Shocking? » | Return to Below Freezing Point » | Dinners, dinners » | Tasty Fish » | Thanks for feedback etc. » | Preparing to leave » | Welcome to my new blog! »

Sofa, Sushi and Sunshine

A whole week already passed in Finland! As anticipated, my furniture arrived this morning. Now I could invite other people and offer them a seat.

The weather has improved as the temperature is approaching zero (from the negative side). It has also been very sunny, so this is what people here call an excellent skiing weather. Yet, I think I won’t try such extremes now.

I was very pleased and slightly surprised to note that there is fairly decent sushi available in a new shopping mall built above the bus station, very near to the Department of Economics. They had a Japanese chef who nevertheless speaks quite fluent Finnish.

Finnish spoken with foreign accent in large scale is something that has definitely changed recently. In three years I was away, Helsinki has really become a much more colourful, multiethnic city. It’s no more only the expat Estonians and occasional Mormons who would attempt to twist their tongues to pronounce the beautiful Finnish diphthongs in accordance with the 15 grammatical cases, but everywhere I go there are people of all colours behind the service desks speaking very fluent Finnish with an exotic accent. This, in a way, makes me feel more easily home here, I think, after the ‘global village’ that Dili is without a doubt.